[IP] (to be normal)

We as diabetics are different. To completely blow off that fact can really
lead to a problem. No a child shouldn't have to be "treated" differently.
But unfortunately this does happen.  For me I never had to worry about a
shot during school hours. But I did do a blood test. So I would leave class
5 minutes early and walk to the nurses station, take my test. Then I would
go to lunch. I didn't need a nurse to worry about my readings. Just when
they were really high, or really low I would let her know. (also I would go
to the nurses to check if I didn't feel right)  When I got home sometimes my
mother would check my memory on the meter but most often didn't.  I always
ate what ever was school lunch. Just didn't eat any of the desert type
items.  I was just 10 when diagnosed.  For those pumpers, I don't know what
you tell a really young kid that can't do math to figure out things.( teach
them to use a calculator and pack it in the lunch maybe) But you have to
start some how.  Parents are to assist their child I think yet on the same
token a child will need to learn to take care of themselves.  No a child
shouldn't be forced to take on 100% of the responsibility, but like with
other things they have to learn as age appropriate.   Some mother's here
really do have good work arounds for a difficult problem.

Seems that more and more are learning as we go along, but there is still a
lot that people just don't know about diabetes. I remember being in junior
high, and would have to leave to go do a blood test. The kids would ask me
what I was doing and some became curious to be able to see what I did. I
asked a teacher if she would mind, and I think I freaked her out.  A week or
so later, she asked me if I was running out of blood doing all these tests.
I told her I just a finger stick. For some reason she had it in her head
that I was doing a blood draw. ICK.

Although I don't think that I would be in favor of this, but there is an
alternative to sending your child to school and worrying about the care and
supervision that child is receiving. That alternative would be to home
school.  That is something a parent would really have to look at all the
pros and cons. Maybe it might be an idea until the child is in first or
second grade. For maybe by then there might be some more abilities on the
child's part to add up carbs and corrections with the aid of a calculator.
I haven't been in that boat so I don't know for sure just what I would do,
nor do I know what my parents would do.

Problem with just wanting to be like everyone else, then what comes into
play there is to be like everyone else, that means NO testing, NO insulin.
and eating anything insight with no regard to what could happen.  That isn't
good either.  Yes we need to try to be as normal as we can, but yet we still
have to validate that fact that we are forever going to be a little

Shop online without a credit card
RocketCash, a NetZero subsidiary