Re: [IP] Re:Entitlement?

At 01:32 PM 4/4/2001 email @ redacted wrote:
 >    I didn't know that email to the list is subject to censorship. I'm not
 >saying that we should have an all out war either. However, whichever side
 >are on in this debate, or if you are totally neutral, shouldn't you be
 >allowed to express your opinion? I know I said that "If you don't have
 >anything nice to say...." But at the same token, people should be allowed to
 >say what they feel. Be it they may seem to strike out at one another, which
 >isn't very nice, but I think that we all have a very personal view of this
 >and if someone does not like the subject, they can always delete the message
 >before even reading it. That's the beauty of email.
 >Just wondering about censorship,

This is not censorship. However, we do have an obligation to stop personal
attacks on this list. I have been on many other lists where this is not
done and a few strong minded people dominate the list to the exclusion of
everyone else. In these situations anyone who disagrees with them is
savagely and brutally flamed. We don't want that here. In fact stopping
these kinds of personal attacks allow a lot of people who are hesitant
about posting to participate. If we all play by the rules stated in our
policies then everyone will get to receive the information they need.
Otherwise this list will become saturated with endless bickering and nobody
will benefit.

Please read http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/netiquette.shtml for more
information. Item #13 is especially relevant. I'll quote it here:

>Flaming will not be tolerated. "Flaming" is what people do when they make
>an emotionally opinionated comment using language intended to be
>confrontational. For this list, flaming is defined as personal attacks
>and/or criticism of another list member that have the effect of holding
>another person up to harsh ridicule, demeaning them as a person, or
>otherwise inflicting hostility or anger on them. What one person may
>understand to be friendly kidding, another may perceive as hostile
>flaming. To help control the flaming impulse, remember:
>7       everyone has an opinion, a life, and a value; don't try to demean
>7       be kind and think twice before responding; sometimes the most
>appropriate response is a nicely worded private e-mail instead of posting
>to the list
>7       flaming helps no one, not even yourself; remember you may be
>losing the respect of hundreds of people you have never even seen before
>7       repeated flaming offenses will result in your list membership
>being revoked.

Personally I have no opinion about this issue. I think it is strictly a
personal decision and not up for public approval one way or the other.
Everyone has different views and arguing about it won't solve or prove
anything. Just think about why we are here: to share information about
pumping and diabetes. If someone makes a misstatement of fact, it's OK to
correct them politely. However, we should never put-down someone else's
opinion... to criticize an opinion is to criticize the person.