[IP] Re: Entitlement

In a message dated 4/4/2001 8:20:46 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I do agree with the one thing you said, it is hard not to spoil the child
>  who is dealing with this dreaded disease.  And I really doubt if there is
> one
>  adult dealing with this dreaded disease that doesn't wish they could be
>  spoiled, even just a little bit, too!  I try not to spoil my Joshua too
>   And I'm really careful to not equate certain things with his diabetes.
>  he has two strikes against him.  He is an only child AND he has diabetes.
> So
>  yes, he has a lot more things in his room than I ever did as a child and
>  I have a tendency to spoil him a LITTLE bit.  But I think he deserves it

I try an think of it as INDULGING, rather than SPOILING . . . Katie is very
disciplined,  responsible, and compassionate/respectful of others.  In my
mind, if she's all that and taking good care of her health (diabetes & a
heart defect), I happy to indulge her in other areas (whether that's craft
supplies, a zillion different colors of nail polish, or fixing her favorite
foods).  I don't think she's ENTITLED to that, but I do think she deserves it
-- so I'm happy to indulge her . . .

Just my 2 cents,