email @ redacted writes:

> Everytime my daughter has a low, a part of me just "dies". I'm sure other

   Absolutely......my daughter is 18, dx'd at age 9, on a pump for 5 yrs, but
her pattern is that she gets NASTY when she's high, but when she's low, her
particular reaction is vulnerability and PANIC. The other night, she awakened
very low (for her) at 2:30 a.m. with a bg of 42 & called for me. I got her
juice & animal crackers (our traditional "tea party" menu) & she was so
shaky, she even consented to a few glucose tabs too. As she was eating, she
looked up at me with tears in her eyes & said "who's going to help me with
this in the middle of the night next year?"
    Of course she's capable & competent & will manage fine in college, but
Yvonne's right - for a parent, those moments are "knives in the heart" &
whether or not Roxanne realized it, I'm pretty certain her parents must have
experienced that too. When I came back to bed & told my husband, the same
"knife" stabbed him too.  The reason the JDRF is so successful is because
someone once said to me: gather a roomful of parents of children with
diabetes & tell them their kids can be cured in the next 5 minutes if they'll
just cut off their arms & they'd all be lining up to do so! THAT is the
"modus operandi" that underscores this whole Disneyworld thread. It is not
our desire to see our children get "special privileges" but rather a
mini-compensation for all that they DO 24/7 with no special recognition.
   There is NO WAY this thread will ever reach consensus because I doubt
there's a parent anywhere who'd disagree with our view, and there are also
many adults like Roxanne who have grown up with diabetes, been very
successful doing so & can't understand wat drives us. But if I weren't so
"driven", my family also wouldn't be planning for our 10th year participating
in the JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes & I wouldn't have spent countless hours
coordinating our now highly-successful Parents Networking resources in the
Philadelphia region. This is my passion & it is truly a "labor of love" for
my daughter & for all the brave children who live with this relentness,
capricious disease.
   Off my soap box...
Regards, Renee (Melissa's pump mom & advocate)