[IP] Spoiling

email @ redacted wrote:
>   I do agree with the one thing you said, it is hard not to spoil the child
> who is dealing with this dreaded disease.  And I really doubt if there is one
> adult dealing with this dreaded disease that doesn't wish they could be
> spoiled, even just a little bit, too!

I think Sylvia has hit on an extremely important point. Sure, I wish I
could be spoiled a bit too -- I'm dealing with diabetes on my own -- I
have NO ONE to help me if I get in trouble, and if I pass out, I stay
there until I wake up or until someone comes to investigate the stink
emanating from my house.

But, parents should also take seriously the part about diabetic kids
wanting to be treated just like everyone else.

ANY 3 year old could get cranky and have tantrums (or pass out) while
waiting in the hot lines at Disneyland. Does that mean that all toddlers
should go to the head of the line? Or does it mean that a 3-year old is
actually too young to really enjoy Disneyland? Or that if your child has
diabetes, you need to be on your toes and test more often??
During my 6 years working with both mentally and physically disabled,
one of the things most frequently said by coworkers (out of hearing of
the clients or parents, of course!) was that emotional maturation STOPS
the day the disability occurs.

I think any parent of a chronically ill or disabled child should spend a
lot of time thinking about that one.

Do you want to raise a child who wallows in "Poor me, I deserve to be
coddled because I have diabetes" or do you want one who says "Diabetes
is a major pain in the butt, but I can do anything anyone else can!"?

The dilemma that most often presents itself in the case of diabetes is
you can't have your cake and eat it too. If the diabetic goes to the
head of the line because they might pass out, where do they get off
saying they want to get drivers' licenses, pilot's licenses and scuba

A diabetic DOES need accommodations where necessary -- so a rule against
eating in the classroom, for example, needs to be bent, but not ALL
rules have to be bent.

I once took a young man in a wheelchair to 6 Flags -- he went to the
head of the line, but for a different reason: he needed someone to lift
him from the chair into the ride and back. The regular entrance wasn't
set up for that, and the wheelchair would have been an obstacle to

I dunno, I guess I'm saying there ARE circumstances where special
treatment is necessary, but it shouldn't be taken lightly -- my first
response would always be to see whether I could think of ways to manage
things myself before asking for special help -- most of the time I CAN.
And I feel good about myself, too.
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted