Re: [IP] type 2 diabetic at dr office

Julie Swoboda wrote:
>  I told her I had, but I wouldn't be taking the medication
> because I'm type 1 and wear an insulin pump.  She said, "oh, I wish I was
> type 1 and didn't have to take so many pills everyday."  I thought it was
> very insensitive.

NOT meaning to start a flame war, so please take this as the neutral
statement it really is:

I have heard Type 1's say repeatedly and often that they wish they were
Type 2. They perceive Type 2 as easier to care for, and less damaging.

Well, I think it's another example of the grass being greener. Type 2 is
NOT as simple as you might think -- it's darn difficult to control, and
Type 2's get disabling complications and die after fewer years of
diabetes than Type 1.

They may SEEM complacent, but that's mostly because they don't know any
better -- their docs tend to treat them as if their diabetes was mild,
and not worth controlling intensively. I mean, if a doc looks at your
BGs and sees fastings in the 180's and PPs in the 300's and tells you
you're doing fine, what are you supposed to think?

And many Type 2's DON'T have symptoms when their BGs are high, and since
they were never told to test, and CAN'T correct for high BGs or adjust
for varying carb intake anyway, there is just not much they can do,
except try to follow a possibly unpalatable diet, and exercise as much
as their bodies will let them and hope there will be a gradual effect.
Plus, since many Type 2's are overweight or obese AND older, they often
have arthritis that really limits their ability to exercise.

Having physically suffered on the sulfs for 5 months, I begged to be put
on insulin -- it worked like a miracle, and life is SO much easier! I
can eat whenever I want to, and, within reason, whatever I want to -- on
the sulfs, I couldn't eat breakfast at all without my BGs going into the
300's. Plus I would have hypos every day if I didn't have a morning
snack and eat lunch exactly on time. (And then, after a while, I stopped
having the hypos, and just had increasingly high BGs)

With insulin, I have SO much more freedom, and the important part is
that it WORKS, and can be fine-tuned whereas the sulfs worked only
sporadically, and then not at all. I'll definitely take insulin over
pills, any day.

And although I never took Metformin, I've heard plenty of stories about
the gastrointestinal upsets it causes -- and no one knows what the
long-term possible harm of the newer drugs might be.

A friend from another list just died of Type 2 at the age of 53 -- but
first she had an amputation, and even before the amputation, was unable
to walk for a couple of years. Hey, she was a year YOUNGER than me --
and I don't have any of those problems.

So actually, I think the insensitivity goes both ways -- Type 1's
wishing they had Type 2, and Type 2's wishing they had Type 1 -- given
my druthers, I'd rather not have it at all, but if I DO have to have it,
I'll keep the Type I have, thank you -- because NO type of diabetes is
the piece of cake some people seem to think it is!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted