Re: [IP] Diabetic Stamps

email @ redacted writes:

> I like them and I think some of the money goes to research. Not sure about
> that though.

  Sorry to disappoint, but since one of the 2 moms of kids with diabetes who
spearheaded this stamp effort is from my Philadephia JDRF chapter, I know
this is not the case.
   The breast cancer semi-postal stamp issued in late July 1998 was the first
time the US Postal Service had ever issued this type of stamp which costs
more than its face value. The stamp was due to expire in late July, but was
extended for an additional 2 years by then President Clinton. To date it has
raised a staggering $12 million for research from those extra pennies/stamp.
   Valerie & Margaret, the 2 moms, finally gave up on a similar goal when
told it would be a 7 year process versus the 3 year process for an "awareness
stamp". Of the 50,000 entries submitted annually, the diabetes stamp was
approved & released on March 16th. It costs 34 cents, none of which goes to
research. Coincidentally, when I was in Washington, DC in late February
visiting legislators with JDRF regarding government research allocations, it
was mentioned that the USPS has told the government that it will not accept
requests for semi-postals henceforth because they were beseiged with requests
from non-profits wanting to mimic the success fo the Breast Cancer stamp.
   Since I am also a breast cancer survivor, my real dilemma this August will
be deciding which stamp to put on Melissa's WALK to Cure Diabetes Team
fund-raising letter that she mails to hundreds of friends, family,
acquaintances, etc!
    Now - that should sum up "everything you ever wanted to know about
stamps!" LOL
Regards, Renee (Melissa's pump mom)