[IP] RE: T2's on pump

Natalie A. Sera wrote:

>I think the resistance to giving pumps to Type 2's is that there are so
>MANY of them, and they tend to be middle-aged or older, and while people
>in general (and therefore the rule-makers) care about kids, they DON'T
>care about adults. Especially older adults without children in the

Sad, but I think there is a lot of truth in what you say.  However, I think
there is more to it.  Many of the type 2s that I know seem to be too
complacent with their current treatment and see a pump as too intrusive.
They, as a group, are not as assertive as type 1s in securing their medical
care.  Also, many of them are on Medicare and Medicare, as we know, will not
provide pumps for type 2s.

By the way, MiniMed is developing, and plans to introduce, (don't know when)
a disposable pump for type 2s.  I'm not sure of the details but it will be
worn like a patch and, I believe, deliver a set basal rate.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998