[IP] Re: Anyone have a lawyer connection??

Sorry, I don't have a lawyer connection, but I was so interested to read that
you are fighting to receive the Disability Tax Credit in Canada.
    I had heard about this tax credit when Claire was dx almost 4 years ago
and heard that some families were trying to get it.  But upon our return to
Canada last fall I was told by our local diabetes association that no one got
it and it wasn't even an issue!!
    Shelly, I would love to have more info on this, as I will also apply and
be prepared to fight for it.  I think it is pitiful the support that children
get in this country when they have special medical needs.  We have no
equivalent of the Section 504--everything is ad hoc and up to the local
school boards who can make arbitrary decisions.
    We lived in the UK for 2 years.  After being there one year, by chance I
found out that Claire was eligible to apply for a Disablility Living
Allowance.  The British diabetes association had lobbied very hard to have
kids with diabetes be eligible for this.  There were special rules to assess
children, with 8 years of age being something of a determining factor.  I
applied and Claire was awarded DLA at the highest rate, it was based on how
much care and supervision was needed and was a very long and detailed form.
It was an awesome amount of money, I couldn't believe it.  I myself also then
received Invalid Carers Allowance because I didn't work.  Now I know that
many object to the names of these allowances, but its just a catch-all term.
And it really helps relieve the financial burden when Moms just can't work
because their kids need so much care.
    I must admit, it was hard to give up so much money to return to Canada,
where we don't even get a tax break!!!  But in the UK its impossible to get
kids on pumps.....so we made the decision to return.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 6, pumping soon