Re: [IP] Kindergarten

laurie wann wrote:
> The
> one sticking point we have had is what to do at lunchtime when the
> teacher goes on break.  I want someone to sit with Brian and note what
> he eats, count carbs, and calculate bolus.  The school thinks that Brian
> should just bring his uneaten lunch to the office so the school
> secretary can see what is left, and calculate what he ate based on what
> a note from me saying what I packed that day, and how many carbs were in
> each item. My feeling is that a 5 year old may easily swap food (even if
> asked not to) and that unless someone is physically with him-we'll have
> no idea what he actually ate.

I remember this topic coming up a year or two ago -- in essence, you
want the school to hire a new employee just to sit with your child at
lunch time. That costs money, and you can expect the school to balk at
that. There really isn't enough money to go around!

Second, think about the social stigma that it would put on your child to
have a "babysitter" when everyone else is eating by themselves. Brian
needs to interact with other kindergartners on an equal level, and be
allowed to be "one of the boys!" It's bad enough that he has to deal
with diabetes at all -- and I think every effort should be made to make
it as unobtrusive as possible!

Is Brian old enough to use a telephone? Could he call you and TELL you
what he ate? Then you can figure the bolus yourself, and the office
secretary could supervise his bolus. If you are careful to stay totally
non-judgmental about what he ate, there is no reason for him to lie
about it. You might need to work with him on the concepts of "half",
"most" (3/4) "all" "a bite"(1/4) and "none". and talk about his lunch
with him before he goes to school -- and expect slip-ups. You can also
practice with him on his breakfast and dinner. Have him tell you how
much he ate, and you can see how accurate he is.  It's a learning
experience, but it's going in the direction of self-reliance, which is
what you want!!!!

Also, don't expect him to remember it during lunch recess (too much
excitement!), but maybe the routine could be that the teacher sends him
to the office as soon as they come back from lunch.

You could also pack a checklist (and a pencil or even crayons!) for him
to work with -- doesn't have to be words -- it could be pictures (but
label them -- a good reading experience!  :) ). He can scribble out or
color in what he ate, and should be able to tell you he ate half his
apple, or all of his sandwich, most of his pudding or none of his
carrots, or that he drank an extra container of milk. Or even that a
friend gave him an Oreo cookie. If you packed the lunch, you should know
how much it works out to.

Raising a child with a chronic health problem is a fine line -- a
tightrope, and it's SO easy to fall off! On either side! You don't want
to be either neglectful or overprotective, and you want your child to be
able to grow up socially as well as physically healthy -- a tall order!

Remember, these are just suggestions, or brainstorming -- I really hope
you are able to solve the problem to everyone's satisfaction!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted