Re: [IP] Single Diabetic mothers

Hi Sheila!
I am not currently but it was not so long ago that I was on my own with 4
children ages 9mnths. to 13 years. My 13 yr. old is ADD. I had more than one
neighbour aware of my condition and 'trained' to deal with lows. My 3 older
children, ages 13, 9 and 5 were taught how to deal with my low bgs and at
what point to call for help. We had emergency phone #s programmed on our
phone (including 911) so that the children just had to press a button. For
the 911 number we drew a little ambulance beside it.
We also had a couple of brightly coloured insulated lunch bags filled with
juice boxes, granola bars, candy and insta-glucose. The children knew not to
give me any of these if I was not concious but to call 911. We kept one in
the kitchen and one in my bedroom. Also in these bags was any emergency
information. Do you have the Emergency Room letter appropriate to give to
ambulance people or ER nurses and Dr.s? That would be perfect. Also. I keep
an updated list of my basals with this letter at all times. You also may
want to mention on another peice of paper with the letter who to contact to
care for your children if you need to be taken to the hospital.
We also made sure that there was a phone in the bedroom at all times.
Someone would call every morning to check on me.
My children saved my life on more than one occasion during those two years.
When it came time to act they were prepared and either dealt with it
themselves or ran to or called a neighbour or called an ambulance. It was
the most tumultuous time of my life and very stressful because of all the
other stuff going on.
Hopefully none of these situations will happen but as long as you and your
children and those close to you are prepared then everything should run
smoothly. Thankfully since I have started on the pump, I have not had the
severe reactions that I had while on MDI at night time.