Re: [IP] FWD: E-News 30-Apr-2000

Yerachmiel Altman <email @ redacted> wrote:

> >===== Original Message From "Dr. Joe" <email @ redacted> =====

> Cygnus (glucowatch)  now is down to only one
> calibration for 12 hours with 3 measurements/hour.

But there's a three hour "warm up" period after applying a new sensor pad before it will start measureing glucose.   BTW, it's measuring interstitial fluid glucose, not blood glucose.  Still, it's a big step in the right direction.

> MiniMed's implantable glucose sensor was said to be
> clinically best.  One measurement every 5 minutes with
> calibration once daily.  Best at seeing nocturnal glucose
> lows.

Actually, it takes a reading every ten seconds.  Every five minutes it averages those readings and records that average.  It, too, is measuring interstitial fluid glucose, not blood glucose.  This, too, is a BIG step in the right direction.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.