[IP] EMT's & glucose

In Illinois, as basic EMT's, NO we are not allowed to check a blood sugar.
That's an invasive procedure, and we are not allowed to do it.  In some
regions of the state, basics can do this, as well as give oral glucose, but
in the region I live in, we are not allowed to do this.

What we can do, though, is call for a Paramedic assist, and see if we can
meet up with them before we can get the patient to the hospital.  We can
give them oxygen, but oxygen is the only drug Basic EMT's are allowed to

Deb EMT 7/94
D-T1 12/77, Pumping 3/97