Re: [Re: [IP] whether EMTs should suspend a pump]

Dear Cheryl,
    HI! I'm studying to be an EMT-B currently and we are learning to
intubate. I think that it is a new thing but, just thought you may want to
know. We are also beaing trainned to use semi-automatic(?) and fullyautomated
defibrillators. As far as I know this is the same everywhere, weather or not
your company lets you use this is where the conflict comes.... so I'm told.
Thank's
Brandy

email @ redacted wrote:
In Pennsylvania, EMS has several different levels of training, basic life
support (which is further broken down into 2 levels- first responder (scouts
training) and EMT- which allows oxygen and some related equipment) and
advanced life support- ie Paramedic.

Basic life support includes patient assessment, CPR, splinting, including
traction splints and Shock Trousers, bleeding control, wound care,
administration of instant glucose gel and oxygen (the only drugs permitted to

be administered by basic life support personnel) etc.  Any other drug,
dextrose, IV's, defibrillator/heart monitor, artificial airways, drugs, etc
are advanced life support which requires further training that Paramedics go
through (approximately 6 more months in Pennsylvania)

So to answer your question, in Pa, an EMT cannot start an IV or give D50-
although they can use instant glucose gel rubbed inside the cheek as long as
the patient is able to swallow and certain precautions are taken, but a
Paramedic (EMTP) can do both, as well as use the heart monitor/difibrillator,

insert endotracheal tubes, give drugs.

I hope that this answered your question, without further confusing you!  EMS
providers from other states work differently, I'd love to hear your state's
setup?

Cheryl
aka Mouse