Re: [Re: [IP] whether EMTs should suspend a pump]

I'm currently studying to be an EMT-B and we CAN give oral glucose. We are
allowed to carry it. We can not give nitro, an inhaler, or epipen without the
patient having it before hand.But we are allowed to carry oral glucose. Also,
in a situation which we come apon a patient who has a pump, in most
sittuations, unless the pump is in the way.. we are not going to do anything
with it. If need be, we would just pull it out and not mess with the
programing of it. Just as a side note I'am on a MM pump so its not like I'm
just comming out of left field on this one.
Thanks & Take care,
Brandy

"Deb Graves" <email @ redacted> wrote:
But, as Basic EMT's, in Southern IL, anyway, we are not allowed to give
glucose tablets or gel or anything.  IF the patient has their own, we can
"assist" them to take it.  If they don't have any with them at the time,
then they won't get it until we get them to the hospital, and depending on
where we pick them up at, that may be anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes.

Just another of my $.02 worth.

Deb EMT 7/94
D-T1 12/77, Pumping 3/97