[IP] Medical Id

Subject: Re: [IP] MA Bracelets, Necklaces, Etc...
      From: "Deb Graves" <email @ redacted>
      Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:51:42 -0500
Deb makes an absolutely HORRIBLE suggestion:
>not only put an MA(Medic Alert) tag on the pump,
>but also instructions on how to shut it off for EMT's.
Most of our concern as insulin pump users is around
avoiding its being "removed from us" by the un-knowing.
Granted "you two" might not be the usual EMT's but we
do not want it to be a matter-of-course for our
insulin pumps to be removed and then not be attended to
with sufficiently frequent Bg monitoring to guide our
attending physicians and nurses injecting insulin
while our pumps have been taken away from us while
we couldn't fight!
Besides the injured in a vehicle wreck scenario, I
keep seeing so many members speak of "suspending" their
pumps' delivery themselves when discovering hypoglycemia.
Doesn't that leave most of those who do it "high" after
a few hours ?
Other thing:
Please let us reserve the words "Medic Alert" for the
emblems on a chain from the Medic Alert Foundation
and the telephone service it provides connecting any EMT or
emergency-room staff to your records and personal physician
1-800-432-5378  email @ redacted
Let's say Medical Identification or Jewelry for the
"tag" products of any other organization un-affiliated with
Medic Alert Foundation , please.

David C. Winegarden
Fremont, CA