RE: Re: [IP] Disetronic Vs. Minimed

Todd Beall <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Let's not start another long "pump flame" war here...seems that 99% of
> us are happy with our pumps regardless of the brand.

< Semi-professional* mode = ON >

I'll add a little to this . . . both MiniMed and Disetronic make devices
(pumps) that are excellent *tools* to help us control our disease.  They are
not magic, and both require a lot of work on our part to control the device.
The two pumps operate slightly differently, but they both deliver measured
doses of insulin in highly programmable and reliable ways.  Because of the
FDA approval requirements, we can rest assured that the Animas pump will
also be an excellent tool for us to use.  Most of the decision as to which
pump is best for someone is personal preference.

A couple of considerations: because of the way the Disetronic delivers basal
doses, it may be a better choice for someone who is highly insulin sensitive
and needs very small doses; because of the remote and blocking features of
the MiniMed 508, it may be a better choice for children who are too young to
calculate and deliver their own boluses.

Having a third pump available soon will help us all as competition will
drive service up and (possibly) prices down.  But because of the regulatory
restrictions on the use of pumps, we are all guaranteed a high quality
reliable product regardless of the brand.

There is no such thing as a perfect machine, and pumps are no different.
There will be failures of MiniMed, Disetronic, and Animas pumps. Some will
be random failures and some will be systematic failures (such as the MiniMed
programming error that has been fixed**). The job of QC/QA is to establish
an acceptable level of failure, not eliminate failure.  What's important
when a pump fails is the timeliness of the response by the company. From
what I've heard, both MiniMed and Disetronic respond appropriately when a
pump fails. I'm sure Animas will as well.

*Semi-professional because I'm involved in the laboratory testing side, not
the medication administration side.  However, our division has dealt rather
extensively with FDA, establishing the standards of laboratory testing. The
process of validating a process is extensive before a device or a test is
approved for use by either the public at large or by health care

**The failure in the MiniMed 508 was one involving loss of programming when
one wanted to change basal rates and the user had to reprogram *all* basals,
not just the ones that needed to be adjusted.  At no time was the
reliability, dose, etc., in question.

<Semi-professional mode = OFF>

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted OR
mailto:email @ redacted

the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the United States Public
Health Service or any other agency of the United States government.