Re: [IP] substitute teachers-venting

----- Original Message -----
From: Deborah <email @ redacted>
To: Insulin-pumpers <email @ redacted>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 12:32 PM
Subject: [IP] substitute teachers-venting

> I help out in Eve's classroom one morning a week, and today was the day I
> was there. Today they had a substitute teacher, and when the kids went to
> gym, I started to talk to the substitute teacher. After a while, I said,
> "Did you know that you had two children with diabetes in this class?" He
> said, "Well... one of the fellows said he had diabetes and need a snack,
> back about 10:00."
>
> I said, "the other child is Eve." "Eve. Which one is Eve. What does she
look
> like. Where does she seat." the substitute teacher asked in a very
> unconcerned voice, like he could care less.
>
> It this point I was about to say, you know, THE GIRL I POINTED OUT THIS
> MORNING AS MY DAUGHTER, BY NAME, BEFORE CLASS STARTED THIS MORNING,THE ONE
> EARLIER THIS MORNING WITH THE CUT FINGER, THAT WENT TO THE NURSES OFFICE,
> REMEMBER. THE ONE YOU SAID, NOT EVEN AN HOUR AGO, TO 'EVE, GO DOWN TO THE
> NURSES OFFICE AND HAVE THAT CUT ON YOUR FINGER TAKEN CARE OF.'  REMEMBER?
>
> Sorry about the capital letters, I wanted to scream at him.
>
> At this point he decided to look at the substitute teacher folder(it was
now
> 10:45, school started at 9:00). Never look past the first page in the
> folder, and the first page really doesn't have anything important on. I
look
> in the folder one time, when the teacher was out of the room.
>
> But I calmly said,"Eve, my daughter, the one with the cut finger." Then he
> said " so, what do I do?" This substitute had no clue, I doubt he had any
> idea what diabetes is. Makes me wonder WHY I have a 504 Plan and letters
> substitute teachers in the substitute teachers folder, IF THEY NEVER LOOK
AT
> THEM.  Makes me wonder WHY I take the time to write and send things to
> educate the subs, when they never look in the folder.
>
> At this point I was just stunned, I didn't know what to say. I just said
> that if they started to act strange, send them down to the nurses office
> with someone. What do you say? It was clear this teacher was just putting
in
> time, getting paid to not even baby-sit this class. I didn't even get to
the
> point of telling him, she had a pump, why? He didn't even know the basics.
> .
>
> Then he said, "well... I'm sure that the other kids in this class will
know
> what to do." WHAT? Excuse me, he's the teacher, he SHOULD know what to do.
>
> I know that not all substitute teachers are like this one, but how many
are?
> How do we know that our children are taken care of when the teacher isn't
> there? This makes me wonder about Jr Hi next year, when she will have
seven
> + different teacher with many more substitute teachers.
>
> Sorry about the venting.
>
> Deborah mom to Eve 12.75
> Dxed 5/3/96 pumping 5/21/99
>
> Deborah
               I know  what you mean. When I was first diagnosed in fourth
grade I told my teacher I was feeling bad, so he told me to go lye down on
the reading cot. So I did and the class went outside to recess. When they
came back I was in a seizure. They had to call a ambulance. I went to the
hosp. and recovered then went back the next day. I know am 26 years old.
Christinamailto:email @ redacted> -----------------------------------------