Re: [IP] Infections and Highs

----- Original Message -----
From: <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 6:49 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Infections and Highs

> Deb, most of us sometimes forget, but one sure way to know whether it is
> the site or a more systemic problem, is simply to do the oldfashioned
thing
> of taking a shot of insulin.  If it works faster and better than a bolus,
> then you know its time to change the site.  And after putting in so many
> Silhouettes, and injection with a 30 g 1/2 in needle feels like a mosquito
> bite.
> -wayne
>
> <<<<<<<<I have had something similar to this happen once or twice in the 3
> years
> since I started on my pump - the site gets infected and it kills the bg
> level.  Any infection at all for me kills my bg.  Something as simple as a
> sinus infection (which I get CONSTANTLY living in Southern Illinois) can
> send my bg up to 250 or 300 if I don't keep an eye on it.
> I was admitted to the hospital not too long after starting on the
> pump, with
> a bg of around 450 (I'd take a bolus and it would drop, then go back up
> again within 2 or 3 hours).  My doctor swore up and down it had to be an
> infection at the site (although it was not red or sore or anything)
because
> he couldn't find any other reason for my sugar to be that high.  (I was
also
> puking my guts up, so I think it was probably the flu).
> Anyway, anytime I get even a little bit sick, my bg jumps up.
> Deb>>>>>>>>>>
>
>Deb
I also am a insulin pump user (507). I get high bgs from infection also.
Back in Oct. of 99 I got the flu while on the pump and it was not doing me
any good. So they put me in the hosp. for 4 days. Any little ifection I get
hihgs. I have been diabetic since age 9, I am now 26. I have been on the
pump through mini-med for around 5years.
Christina>>>>>>>>>