Re: [IP] ldriving licence

In a message dated 4/26/00 5:24:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  have heard emergency personnel say that they look for medical necklaces
 and bracelets first. >>

I spent I spent 17 years doing volunteer EMS/fire as an EMT and EMTParamedic,
and have worked side by side with many volunteer and professional
EMT/Paramedics.  I can honestly tell you that it is the rare individual who
will actually search for the medic alert first.  It usually is looked for
only after all other things are checked, and they've come up empty handed to
explain unconsciousness/ peculiar behavior.  It usually is the provider who
is or knows someone with a condition who wears an alert who will look during
the first minute on scene while the seconds are ticking away.While it is
taught in training to look early, often that is kind of pushed to the back of
their mind.  I will say though that it is best to wear something that will
stick out like a sore thumb in order to catch attention quick, and wallet
cards... forget them as your first defense because EMS will never look in the
wallet because of fear of being called a thief, if anything is needed from
the wallet, they will wait either for the police, or until the patient is at
the hospital where the hospital personnel will check the wallet and then give
any info to the EMS personnel.

Just a little input from the other side of the fence- I guess you could say
I'm straddling this one!!!!

aka Mouse