Re: [IP] Disetronic Vs. Minimed

>>>I have the Disetronic loner pump , now i would love any imput on the disetronic H-TRON v100........versus the 508 minimed.....I could use some help, any comments or suggestions>>>

Allow me to share an article I found that sums up a number of postings we have had here about the MiniMed 508 and many first month problems:
                    Diabetes News  November 21st, 1999
      MiniMed Says Its Insulin Pump Has Software Error
MiniMed Inc., the manufacturer of insulin pumps as well as other diabetes devices, is notifying customers who have purchased the Model 508 insulin pump on sale since October 4 this year that a software error could occur in some of these pumps. Pumps affected include those containing "02A" near the end of their serial number.
The problem appears to be created when the user changes two or more basal rates after the initial basal rates have been set. MiniMed says that this can cause unwanted changes in the timing of the new basal rates. The notification sent to users contains specific programming instructions for "zeroing out" the current basal rates and times before programming in the new rates to eliminate this "rare and minor" error.
All pumps shipped since November 18 when the notification went out contain upgraded software. MiniMed says it plans to recall and reprogram the pumps already sent out which contain the software problem.   **(May I mention here that the recent postings were about 508s that were started up well AFTER Nov.18, 1999 !!! )**
MiniMed plans to begin upgrading the software in the affected pumps early next year. Initial estimates for the cost for this notification and "software upgrade" was projected to be between $1 million and $1.5 million.

Further, my choice of a Disetronic was also based on their TRUE volume control...decibel level adjustment NOT just a longer beep signal! Plus, I found that the use of a "patient advocate" by Disetronic was helpful without being "pushy" for a sale. MiniMed HAS about 80% of the US market...but Disetronic has even a larger worldwide market! Disetronic has also been given $3 million in research money by the European community for the beginning of trials for their closed loop (semi-implantable glucose monitor with pump set-up) which indicates their trust in the company.
I don't believe MiniMed is a lesser product....but since I am a NEW pumper, I feel both Animas and the problematic 508 isn't a reasonable choice for me right now.    Just my two cents....YMMV....Carole Eve