[IP] substitute teachers-venting

I help out in Eve's classroom one morning a week, and today was the day I
was there. Today they had a substitute teacher, and when the kids went to
gym, I started to talk to the substitute teacher. After a while, I said,
"Did you know that you had two children with diabetes in this class?" He
said, "Well... one of the fellows said he had diabetes and need a snack,
back about 10:00."

I said, "the other child is Eve." "Eve. Which one is Eve. What does she look
like. Where does she seat." the substitute teacher asked in a very
unconcerned voice, like he could care less.

It this point I was about to say, you know, THE GIRL I POINTED OUT THIS
MORNING AS MY DAUGHTER, BY NAME, BEFORE CLASS STARTED THIS MORNING,THE ONE
EARLIER THIS MORNING WITH THE CUT FINGER, THAT WENT TO THE NURSES OFFICE,
REMEMBER. THE ONE YOU SAID, NOT EVEN AN HOUR AGO, TO 'EVE, GO DOWN TO THE
NURSES OFFICE AND HAVE THAT CUT ON YOUR FINGER TAKEN CARE OF.'  REMEMBER?

Sorry about the capital letters, I wanted to scream at him.

At this point he decided to look at the substitute teacher folder(it was now
10:45, school started at 9:00). Never look past the first page in the
folder, and the first page really doesn't have anything important on. I look
in the folder one time, when the teacher was out of the room.

But I calmly said,"Eve, my daughter, the one with the cut finger." Then he
said " so, what do I do?" This substitute had no clue, I doubt he had any
idea what diabetes is. Makes me wonder WHY I have a 504 Plan and letters to
substitute teachers in the substitute teachers folder, IF THEY NEVER LOOK AT
THEM.  Makes me wonder WHY I take the time to write and send things to
educate the subs, when they never look in the folder.

At this point I was just stunned, I didn't know what to say. I just said
that if they started to act strange, send them down to the nurses office
with someone. What do you say? It was clear this teacher was just putting in
time, getting paid to not even baby-sit this class. I didn't even get to the
point of telling him, she had a pump, why? He didn't even know the basics.
.

Then he said, "well... I'm sure that the other kids in this class will know
what to do." WHAT? Excuse me, he's the teacher, he SHOULD know what to do.

I know that not all substitute teachers are like this one, but how many are?
How do we know that our children are taken care of when the teacher isn't
there? This makes me wonder about Jr Hi next year, when she will have seven
+ different teacher with many more substitute teachers.

Sorry about the venting.

Deborah mom to Eve 12.75
Dxed 5/3/96 pumping 5/21/99