[IP] Re: Endo visit

Well,,,,,, I believe my 13 year old daughter goes to one of the best
pediatric endos in the city.  However.... our last visit was almost comical,
it was so off target.  Six months ago she went on the pump (before we
switched over to this new doc).  After 3 months of hell trying to figure the
pump system out, we finally did!  Since then, my daughter has worked
incredibly hard on her control.  Her a1c was 6.8; down from 7.4.  She was
thrilled.  However, both the nurse and doctor started lecturing us about
lows, which was puzzling since we hadn't said we were having a problem with
lows.  Furthermore, she doesn't have a history of severe lows.  Everyone
knows that people on tight control have more lows; the challenge is to manage
their frequency and severity.  The pressure is on to get under 7.0 on this
a1c test, yet when she does, it is assumed that she is having excessive lows
and playing with fire.  So what is the unspoken goal; get an a1c under a 7 -
with no lows?  Impossible.
I really got the impression that they had a need to create a problem so that
they could add value and give us advice and help.  But, we didn't need help
with any problems that day; and we didn't need their warnings.  What we did
need was motivation and congratulations.  We needed to be given credit for
all our hard work. Maybe an opportunity to talk about specific instances
where my daughter showed exceptional judgment and thought. We would have
welcomed messages that helped us to feel capable, successful and in control.
What we didn't need was a "watch out" message. Although we were polite with
our new medical team, my daughter and I got in the car and tore their logic
to pieces!  In spite of this visit, we will stay with this team.  They are
very responsive in emergencies and have solved complex problems for friends
of mine.  We may need these capabilities sometime in the future.  So what is
the point?
After this visit, I realized how incredibly knowledgeable I have become by
reading postings from this group.  My confidence is strong thanks to this
group.  I can endure condescending attitudes with some grace and humor.  I
shudder to think of other people who go to doctors and just take everything
to heart and walk out deflated and confused.  It is so sad what can go on.
This pump journey has been a lonely one, almost everything we know, our
family has taught itself.  And we couldn't have done it without the
tremendous help from this group.  We might have given up and be on shots
today.  Matter of fact, I think I'll write a check to say thank you for the
valuable services you provide.