Re: [IP] lows while driving

We lived in Maryland for a few years while my hubby was in the Navy and
I remember hearing a story on the news (while I was pg for JayJay) about
a man who was pulled over for driving erractically(sp?). When the police
officer approached the vehicle, the man became very combative. He was
arrested and thrown in jail. When his wife came to bail him out, she
informed the police that he was diabetic. It turned out that he was having
an insulin reaction behind the wheel and didn't know it. I remember feeling
very sorry for him because he couldn't help it. He hadn't asked to be
diabetic. But, I also remember putting my hands on my pregnant belly
and thinking that the man should never have been behind the wheel of
a car in the first place if something like this could happen to him.
It's a sticky situation. We all have rights, we all have priveledges.
Driving is a priveledge, not a right. There are some diabetics who really
shouldn't be on the road, but the vast majority, I think, can be good,
reliable, safe drivers. The whole thing scares me. By all means, I want
my son to be able to drive a car someday if he wants to. I'm terrified
of him going low at the wheel. Not just for his safety, but because some
other woman is out there  right now putting her hands on her pregnant
belly and praying for her child's safety. I don't know where I'm going
with this, I'm just thinking through my fingers right now. Thanks for

Mom to JayJay
born 2/13/98, dx'd 1/31/99
...sweet as ever

Sign Up Now! http://www.onebox.com