Re: [IP] lows while driving

On April 25 at 2:54 p.m. you wrote:

> My mom was telling me that she heard of some lady who went low while
> and got into an accident.  She said that the lady is being sued and that
> may lose her license.  Now, this lady is in bad control, so I can
> why she shouldn't drive...I don't think any diabetic not under control
> should drive.  We're just wondering if there is some kind of law about
> and what are the limits.  Can ANY diabetic who goes low while driving lose
> their license?  That doesn't sound fair to me.  I mean, what if the person
> didn't realize they were low.  It's not like they were driving drunk.  I'm
> sure the laws vary from state to state but I'd like to hear from anybody.
> Julie
I live in Illinois, as does my mother-in-law, who is also an
insulin-dependent diabetic.  Last year when she went to renew her license,
she had to have a note from her doctor, basically saying that her diabetes
is under control and she's not going to cause any problems while driving.  I
don't know if this is for everyone or what (She'll be 65 in July, so I don't
know if it's just after you reach a certain age or not)  but she said they
told her that anyone with any kind of a medical problem where they could
possibly "black out" or something similar that may cause them to have or
cause an accident must do this.  My license won't need to be renewed for
another 2 years, so I don't know for sure.  Just wanted to let you know what
I had heard.