[IP] lows while driving

My mom was telling me that she heard of some lady who went low while driving
and got into an accident.  She said that the lady is being sued and that she
may lose her license.  Now, this lady is in bad control, so I can understand
why she shouldn't drive...I don't think any diabetic not under control
should drive.  We're just wondering if there is some kind of law about this
and what are the limits.  Can ANY diabetic who goes low while driving lose
their license?  That doesn't sound fair to me.  I mean, what if the person
didn't realize they were low.  It's not like they were driving drunk.  I'm
sure the laws vary from state to state but I'd like to hear from anybody.