Re: [IP] firefighting pumper

> > A DMer on insulin cannot get a CDL either --
> > no truck driving career.
> >
> I heard from a source who wasn't certain that IDDM is a
> prohibitive factor in getting a pilots license.  Has
> anyone actually persued this avenue since having been
> diagnosed?

Yes, there are several (not a lot) diabetic (type 1) pilots. The
certification requirements are stringent and only available for a
"private" liscense, not commercial as I understand it. Contact the
FAA for the details of the medical waiver requirements and the
continuing requirements that must be met on a day to day basis to
exercise pilot privileges.