[IP] firefighting pumper

> Terri D <email @ redacted>
> Subscribing to help my son, who went on the pump about 6 months
> ago.  We live in Tempe, AZ.  He is interested in possibly becoming
> a firefighter, but we do not know if this is possible with diabetes.

Perhaps DM wouldn't be prohibitive in being a firefighter - it's probably
being done. I doubt, however, if it would be feasible for a pumper. The
Humalog wouldn't be able to withstand the intense heat that he would be
exposed to for a period of time to battle a blaze. Would the tubing melt in
the heat? What about a hypo in a burning building? All kinds of scenarios
can be conjured up with this. I wouldn't call it discrimination, either. I'd
call it common sense. Maybe others can dispel all I just said. A DMer on
insulin cannot get a CDL either -- no truck driving career.
Jan (60 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83)