Subject: [IP] Colds

Hi Holly,
Sorry to hear Taylor is sick.  When Jenna has a cold, her sugars are "up and
down" - not consistently "up" enough to really set a temporary basal rate
increase and be sure that she won't bottom out.  So, we just test a lot (not
like we don't test a lot anyways) and do a lot of high sugar boluses.  One
thing that I've noticed is that it takes more insulin to get the highs down.
Usually,  1 unit of insulin will drop her 120 mg/dl or so, but with an
illness, she usually only drops 50-75 mg/dl with a unit.  So, I often change
her sliding scale a little with illness.
Hope it passes quickly.