Re: [IP] pump

email @ redacted wrote:
> Hi Arlene,
> Dont be nervous about the pump. My 12 year old son was one of the youngest in
> this area to go on it at 11 and it is the best thing we could have done for
> him! You will have a adjustment period where you will be nervous about site
> changes and bolusing too much and not doing things right, but it soon passes
> and you sometimes FORGET that he is DIABETIC! I'm serious! It is the best
> gift for your child! :)
> Kevin has really grown emotionally, physically, and mentally since getting
> this pump. Emotionally he is more mature than any other child his age and
> more "together" than when he was on shots.  Physically, he has grown 5'6" in
> height and lost 20 lbs (he was chunky after first going on insulin for 6
> months before the pump...gained 25 lbs after dx). Mentally he doesnt feel
> like a diabetic child now with all the problems associated. He can eat like a
> normal child and the rest of the family WHEN we all decide to eat. His HgA1C
> has dropped from 7.5 pre-pump to 6.1! :)
> Of course you will encounter hassles with the pump like the batteries die in
> the middle of the night and you have to stop the beeping and change
> batteries...or you are at BEN AND JERRY'S and not sure how many carbs the
> CHUNKY MONKEY is...but easy to overcome! :)
> I'm not trying to make light of the emotions you are feeling right now, I
> just want you to know that it is a wonderful step you are about to take and
> it is the BEST STEP you can make for your growing child.
> By the way, Kevin is on a Disetronic pump and loves it. Never a problem with
> site changes or having it attached to him. He keeps in his pants pocket and
> it has become a part of him!
> Go For IT!
> Robin
> Mom to Kevin, 12
> dx 12/98
> pumping 11 months

Hi Robin,

my name is Shirley and I just wanted to say thank you for your e-mail
even though it isn't actually to me!! My son Brendan is 13 and starts on
his pump (Minimed) on May 1st and while I am a little nervous about it,
I KNOW it is the right thing to do. We have been unable to keep his BSL
much below 15 (270) for much of the time since Xmas despite aggressive
treatment, numerous changes in insulin etc and several hospital
admissions! His BSL are currently rising again, but we are hoping to
'hang out' until the 1st. Your letter helped me feel that we CAN do
this, and that Brendan will cope. He is a young 13 and I do worry about
him - well, its a mother's job - right? He is the first person our endo
has put on a pump - they are not very common here yet (Australia) so we
will all be learning together.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and thanks,

(Ian,15, Brendan, 13 dx 12/12/98 and about to start pumping 1/5/00 and