[IP] New pumper questions

I was wondering about a problem we had noticed with our son.  Once in a while
his blood sugar will drop low (50-60) and it will take 3-4 treatments with
candy before his blood sugar is normal again.  Once it is normal I let him go
and monitor him over the next couple of hours where he is fine but then about
3 hours later he is 300-500.  I know about rebounding and we experienced this
on occasion when he was on shots but this is different.  There have also been
a few times when his blood sugar shoots up for no apparent reason but after
giving him a supplemental bolus he is okay.  I know that this is not a
perfect science but was just wondering if I should be doing something
differently.  We've only been pumping for 2 weeks so I'm just learning.
Anway, thanks for any help.