[IP] checking for protein

There are urine test strips which are read by comparing a color on the strip with one on the bottle chart. I think these are called urostrips and are made now by Bayer (previously Ames). I would caution you about this method since it only measures the protein in a random pee sample and not the 24 hour protein which is a better index as to how your kidneys are functioning and what kind of protein you are peeing. If you have hypertension your doc should be testing your pee for protein and you should be watching it carefully. Its not something we can manage ourselves even though we have been trained to manage most stuff independant of our docs.