[IP] Kids and diabetes

<original message--parts of it!>
My point is, that the pump requires so much more record keeping, and
adjustments to contol are possible based on blood sugars practically
hour by
hour, that people buy into the belief that there is a logical (and
immediately findable and assignable) reason for every fluctuation in
sugar, and that if we are just 'good enough' at it, we can be 'normal'
the time.  It seems to me that if people (including myself in my less
rational moments) could come to a happy medium between 'everything is
explicable' and 'nothing is controllable', we would have considerably

This group is very good about saying YMMV.  It's difficult living with a

condition that is affected by every sniffle, minor infection, hormone
and growth spurt (and hasn't read the book about how it is supposed to
:)   I guess what I'm trying to say is to try to cut yourselves (and/or
kids) some slack and try to accept that sometimes, stuff just happens.
Hi Kathy,

I agree with you completely. I get especially concerned when people
react to a HbA1C number negatively...they need to realize that lots of
diabetics have numbers over 10...and some on this list are worrying
about a 7 or an 8!

I'm not saying, don't try to get things a little better...but it's
important not to obsess over it, either.

For example, since I've been on the pump (3 months now), my HbA1C has
been exactly the same as before (6.8--measured a few weeks ago), yet I
know that my control has been lots better.  The number of readings in
the "normal" range has gone up from less than 50% to 65%, and the number
of both low and high readings has decreased significantly.  I've had 4
and 5 day periods with no readings above 200--and that hasn't happened
ever on MDI.

All I'm saying is, even if my HbA1C were to go up a little bit, it
wouldn't be a horrible thing at all.  And especially where children are
concerned, I think it's important not to overstress the
numbers--otherwise, they will be feeling like "bad people" if they get a
less-than-ideal number.

It is a source of concern if kids (or adults!) just start eating
whatever they want and don't care about high blood sugar readings. But
somehow I don't think many insulin pumpers are doing that...

Hope you and the rest of the  folks on the list have a blessed
Easter--and may all of us count our blessings just a bit more (and worry

Todd (48 yrs old, diabetic since age 13)