Re: [IP] carb counting question

Cathy, this is an important question.  I'm sure you will go quite high if
you eat an 8 oz steak and no carbs.  For me this will raise my BG about
200.  anywhere from 20 to 80% of that protein can be convertd to glucose.
If you don't eat any carbs, I suspect it will be closer to 80%, but you've
got to try it for yourself.  A good starting point is 1/3 U per oz of
protein, but, since this coversion takes a few hours, you shoould either
use a square wave or just take half of the bolus 1-2 hours later.  Enjoy.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<I've asked this question of my dietician, but she told me
to always eat
carbs with my meals.  Let's say I want to eat a juicy steak and a big green
salad with no carbs, not even in the dressing, for dinner. I currently
figure my bolus as 1 unit per 15 carbs.  I also figure in 1 unit per every
50 dl/mlg(?) of bg reading over 150. How do you figure how much insulin to
take for your bolus?  Would I use a square wave bolus?