[IP] 1st "Pumping" A1c

Well, yesterday we went for our first visit to the endo since Laura went on
the pump on 1/11/00.  HER A1c WAS 6.2!!!!!!!!!  I can't believe it.  Since
June 1999 all her A1cs have been 8.5 - 9.2.  (I actually thought her last
one was 12.2 and was ashamed to bring it up; I felt like a failure, but I
was mistaken, it was actually 8.5.) At last we feel we can see some tangible
results for all of our efforts.  I love this pump.

Something strange happened last night though.  I was lying in bed next to
Laura; she was sleeping.  I started to cry.  Cry because I was happy she had
such a great number, happy that we got a good "report card", anxious that we
have to do as good if not better in three months, sad that my baby will have
to live with this "report card" every three months for the rest of her life,
sad that I won't be around forever to help her, anxious that she meets
someone special who will....  Then I looked down at Laura and saw this
tubing come out of her underwear and got sick.  That was the first time that
happened to me.  To see this little girl attached to this THING...ugh!  But
that THING is saving her life!!!!  I just thought it was weird that I felt
this way on what should have been such a happy day.

Thanks for listening.  I guess I'll never be truly happy as long as she has
diabetes but I'll do my best for her.

Laura Lentini-Iaffaldano, New York
Mother of Laura, age 6, dxed 12/21/98
Pumping on MM508 since 1/11/00