Re: [IP] Re: Let down again...little kids pumping

In a message dated 4/20/00 5:37:37 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Dawn,
 We were in the same boat with our ped endo... we got the "if it ain't
 broke don't fix it her Hba1c is really pretty good" brief and pat on the
 head, and were sent on our way after several visits inquiring about the
 pump.  We switched endos (with the help of a MiniMed rep) and got Gen
 (age 4-almost 5) approved quickly after that.  However, we found-out
 later that our old Ped Endo would have loved to start alot of her kids
 on a pump, but didn't have the staff/funding/whatever, etc. to do just
 that.  Maybe she was restricted in some way by the Hospital?  Who
 knows?  Anyways, look around, ask around!
 Paula, Mom to Genevieve, (dx'd at 13 months, now age 4, pumping 4
Hi Ladies, I am coming in a little late in this conversation.  I hope you do
not mind.  It sounds as though you are being given the run-a-round on getting
hooked up.  Over the past seven years, I had brought the subject up and got
the old familiar, "She's not old enough yet." I put off  for a while and then
this last fall a friend and I took our daughters to the health fair in Ogden
Utah.  The rep for both pumps was there and so we listened and checked them
out.  The rep for the disetronic however, happened to also be diabetic and
had a pump on. He was very much able to relate to my Jenna and was able to
answer her questions to her satisfaction. It was then she figured out in her
little head how many shots she would would not have to get in comparrission
to a site change every three days.  Which for her added up since it was a
minimum of three shots a day. All the way home and that week all I heard
about was this pump.  So, I was able to make an appointment the following
week to discuss this.  Well, El'Doc was all prepared to avoid the subject
again and that is when I decided I just had to make up my mind about this and
told him exactly how I saw things. I simply told him... that I was her mother
and he worked for me. Jenna is the one who brought this up and that we had
tried every possible route available to control her bg's at his suggestions.
Obviously the approaches we had taken were not working and that the only
thing left to do it seemed to me was to put her on the pump so that she could
have a continous flow of insulin. I simply told him, this is what "we are"
going to do. I let him know I had done my research and was completely aware
of many people who had children younger than Jenna on the pump. I also knew
from talking to moms what I was in for as far as a repeticous schedule, carb
counting and waking up several times a night to test. Not much unlike a new
baby I thought to myself.  Finally he broke and said OK.  From that point it
was only 5 weeks that went by and we had  her pump and we were getting
started. I have nothing bad to say about pumping! Even when that alarm goes
off in those early morning hours and I think...already?  It has been the best
thing for her! We have never had such tight control in the past seven years.
Good luck and I say be tuff with them! Keep grinding away at'em!   Sorry this
was so long!

Laurie, mom to Jenna, dx'd at 13months, now 8.  Have a Good Easter!