Re: [IP] carb counting question/subtracting fiber

At 05:07 PM 4/20/00 -0400, you wrote:
 >I've been told that to get the correct carb count that you subtract the
 >grams of fiber from the grams of carbohydrate...this makes something like
 >salad (no croutons!) virtually "free."...what are your thoughts?

If I eat my big salad (no croutons!) without bolusing I will be high
afterwards.  I think salad is usually considered "free" in amounts similar
to a small dinner salad, which might contain 2g of CHO.  My salad is B-I-G,
though, and definitely not free.

I have a relatively high insulin/carb ratio:  1/7 at lunch.  So I have to
bolus even for small things. YMMV.