Re: [IP] protein in the urine!!

    Melissa has been taking Vasotec ( another one of the ACE inhibitors) for
almost 3 yrs now ( which was only 4 1/2 years post-dx). She had had massive
amounts of protein & the medication reduced her protein 80%...and those
results were the same one year later. Nearly every diabetes researcher I've
discussed this with feels that ACE inhibitors are a highly effective means of
staving off kidney damage in those so predisposed...and protein in the urine
is one of the earliest indicators that the filtering process is less than
ideal. She has no ill effects from the meds ( although some people are
bothered by a slight cough on these meds) and her blood pressure which was
90/60-ish pre-medication, has remained in that range ever since. Just be
cognizant of the fact that in extreme heat, sweating, etc, it is CRITICAL to
drink LOTS of liquids to avoid passing out!! Of all the things we have to
watch our kids with diabetes contend with, taking that little pill, knowing
it's optimally protecting my daughter, is one of the easier ones. Hope this
information helps allay your concerns.
Regards, Renee