Re: [IP] Rude comment - sorry, long

> My point is, with risk of offending
> nurses here, not all medical people
> know what we think they should know.
> I left that unit with no family resolve.
> They see me as self-centered/self-absorbed
> because of the care I need to take. I
> have articles that say family support is
> crucial in the care of a DMer. Sorry,
> but it's about 1/3 of my life: emotional,
> physical, spiritual. I must deal with it
> and if *you're* with me and I have to test
> or eat or whatever, the subject WILL come
> up. It's sad MY inconveniences inconvenience
> those who are supposed to love me. @@
I've learned hard lessons about so called "unconditional
love" that parents are supposed to feel for their
children.  The first being that it's often not
unconditional.  NOT ALWAYS, merely too often.  My
diabetes management hit a severe low in 1996 (I had been
dx for four years at that point).  Because of my
diabetes and my other medical problems, all three of my
current parents were starting to withdraw.  My birth
parents were worse than my step-mother oddly enough.  My
dad refused to acknowledge there was ANYTHING wrong with
me, but was merely upset at THOSE DAMN DUREAUCRATS that
I couldn't follow his footsteps into the military like
my older sister had.  My birth-mother simply yelled at
me in public about how I "embarrased her".  My
step-mother, while strict about making sure I followed
my regimen, was just simply getting worn out (when I
needed her emotional support the most).

So I crashed.  I had a MINOR mental breakdown (that
lasted nearly all year) in which my control fell SO bad
I'm still reeling from the effects today (I took perhaps
five dozen injections ALL YEAR, hospitalized for DKA on
several occasions and my weight yo-yo from
170->130->180->135->160->110... Imagine 110 pounds on a
six foot frame.

My birth-mother is a little better now... I've schooled
her in her responsibilities that began the minute she
slept with my dad, and our relationship is stronger than
its EVER been.  My pop is an asshole.  I won't talk
about him.

*sigh* Where am I going with this?  Parents!  Whether
your kids are diabetic or not, you owe them your love,
make sure they never have reason to doubt it.

> BUT I told the male nurse that I'd be
> in trouble if I didn't get a battery -
> I could be unhooked for 1 hour and it
> was already 1.5 hours.  He casually
> looked up from his book and said,
> "Don't worry about it, we'll give you
> a shot in the morning." I repeated my
> time frame. He repeated his "DON'T WORRY...!"
> I thought, yeah you will. This was over
> 10 years ago and I sure hope they've
> learned a thing or two about pumping!!!
> I had new fight in me when I got out of there!!
"The squeeky wheel gets the greese."

That's as true as it can be.  I was always a shy and
quiet girl.  Lemme back up... To understand my
personality you have to understand my divided family.
My mother's side is very stereotypical
christian/cathoic.  People speak in turn, quietly and
respectfully, alcohol is not permitted, and children
should be seen and not heard.  My father's side, while
not Jewish in the religious sense, show their hewbrew
blood like a sign on the forehead.  Meals are loud,
agressive, and passionate occourances.  Yes, passionate,
they're a hot blooded bunch.  My parents divorced when I
was two.  I was raised back and forth between my mother
and my father.  As a result, I've turned into this,
usually quiet (encourage by mom's side, and
subsequently unable to get a word in edgewise on dad's
side), and timid creature.  Meanwhile, when the
situation presents itself I turn into she-witch, terror
of the dessert.  And the loud angry "Jewish Princess"
shows through.

So what I'm getting at is... people look at me and
assume I'm going to be an easy pushover.  Say, "No this
is protocol" or "Don't worry about that just do this."
But often they're just WRONG, and I have to exert myself
to convince them otherwise and 9 times out of 10,
they'll cave under the pressure.

> I am smart, outspoken, and UNlike my mom
> and dad.  They just plain don't
> want to be around me. I have an embarassing
> *abnormality* and can speak out.
> That's a nono.
God forbid, a woman with cajones (figuratively speaking)

-Sara G. (working herself up into a frenzy, maybe it's
time to go chew out my coworker for that STUPID thing he
did yesterday -- poor guy)