[IP] Rude comment - sorry, long

> Once, when her teacher called her in and advised her to "talk about
> your diabetes less with your classmates, you will be more readily accepted
> a new student".  What my smart, outspoken (like her mom) daughter
> to him was, that he was confusing behavior with "talking".  She explained
> him that she really must test 4-6 times a day, and occasionally snack in
> classroom, or even give herself a shot during school hours.  So if it
> to him that every time he looked over at her, she was doing some task
> connected to her diabetes, well, I guess it was true.  Tight control does
> require a lot of fiddling.  Better than early complications in adult life.
> Lindsey

I would say, however, "Better than complications...." (IF they can be
avoided.  But the above is somewhat expected from *outsiders,* It really
hurts when close relatives have the above attitude. I was admitted to an
emotional care unit for 2 weeks once due to severe depression. I explained
about my son-in-law stating, "No one cares to hear about you; if we're
around you long enough this subject will come up (test, hypo, etc.). You're
going to die sooner than other people anyway so you might as well get used
to it."  The nurses in the ECU put a moratorium on me to NOT say ANYTHING
about DM for 24 hrs.  We were in a session before lunch and (long story) I
got up and walked out. Since I was on Velosulin at the time I had taken my
lunch bolus in preparation for noon. Their session went overtime and I was
in my room going hypo.  When the nurse saw me she brought my lunch and
forced me to sit up to eat mashed potatoes!!!!

Another patient was admitted and he was so hungry. My *rival* patient fed
him and fed him. I wondered so asked a nurse if he was supposed to eat all
that food. She said, "NO! He's a diabetic!!"  Rival sure felt like a fool.
Nurse felt rather stupid for having to say it in front of me.

My point is, with risk of offending nurses here, not all medical people know
what we think they should know. I left that unit with no family resolve.
They see me as self-centered/self-absorbed because of the care I need to
take. I have articles that say family support is crucial in the care of a
DMer. Sorry, but it's about 1/3 of my life: emotional, physical, spiritual.
I must deal with it and if *you're* with me and I have to test or eat or
whatever, the subject WILL come up. It's sad MY inconveniences inconvenience
those who are supposed to love me. @@

Gotta add this - sorry so long.  One night I needed to do a set change at
the ECU and there was no bathroom in my room - had to use the one in the
hall. I was not allowed to have my battery charger in my room since I might
hang myself with the cord about the size of infusion tubing. I was using the
CPI Betatron II 9200 pump and batteries had to be changed and recharged
every 3-4 days. There were no tables or anything convenient in that BR
except the curved lavatory, a toilet, and bathtub. I accidentally dropped
the infusion set in the toilet. It was New Year's Eve and had to call my
hugsband to bring me another set. He had to come up the back way through
security.  I carried a charged battery in my purse and it was dead. Asked at
the office for the battery in the charger in the back. It was dead. Someone
had turned off the outlet switch. I thought I had a battery in a charger at
home. Had to call hugsband back and he found it, yes. He came back through
security, etc. with strange looks that he'd already been there. It was about
1:00 a.m. by now. BUT I told the male nurse that I'd be in trouble if I
didn't get a battery - I could be unhooked for 1 hour and it was already 1.5
hours.  He casually looked up from his book and said, "Don't worry about it,
we'll give you a shot in the morning." I repeated my time frame. He repeated
his "DON'T WORRY...!"  I thought, yeah you will. This was over 10 years ago
and I sure hope they've learned a thing or two about pumping!!!  I had new
fight in me when I got out of there!!

I am smart, outspoken, and UNlike my mom and dau.  They just plain don't
want to be around me. I have an embarassing *abnormality* and can speak out.
That's a nono.