[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #109

In a message dated 4/18/00 5:06:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:31:13 -0300
 From: Duck And Barb <email @ redacted>
 Subject: [IP] Looking for input from people who use an insulin mix..pretty
please :)
Hello "Duck & Barb", I wish I had more positive info to share. I too need to
change sites every 36 hours - I don't even wait for the 1st high BS anymore.
I lasted maybe 6 months with straight Humalog & then it took me awhile to
figure it out because this is when Humalog first came out & there were no
others I knew of who had this trouble.... After a while some of my patients
started coming back to me months after their start wt the same problem. So I
mixed Velosulin & Humalog, trying different ratios. But the control never
seemed as good as the straight Humalog - as long as I shange the site every
36 hrs. So I have gone back to the straight stuff. My work partner (a
dietitian!) mixes Regular wt her Humalog at a 20%R/80%H ratio & is pleased. I
just haven't tried R. (I just change at the QR - takes about 4.8u to prime..)
So, now to the bubble issue. I didn't mix, I just drew up what I wanted & had
no bubble problem. (But probably what also makes a diff is that I don't use a
new syringe each time......) And no, when I went back to straight H, I didn't
 get much ,if any, grace period. So, try it without the air bubble (in a used
syringe...)Let us know what works. Because this is not a well covered/solved
problem. (well, maybe it is here, I just signed on.....) Jeannie Hickey.