[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #107

RoseLea, I remember my first day - about 9 years ago. I had rec'd only the
technical training from MiniMed - no Diabetes Educator to learn the "rules"
from, what to expect etc. I was on my own. I went to work (in the ER),
checked my sugar every 2 or more hours, covered for carbs - that I ate very
little of. And really did just fine. I haven't missed a day since. The
important things for you - do you carb count? Do you know what your "carb
ratio"is? If not, see a dietitian (who knows this stuff) or begin to learn it
on your own. MiniMed has a book, Insulin Pump Therapy Handbook (not volume 1)
that will be your guide if you are doing this "on-your-own". Covers setting
basal rates, doing the basal testing, finding out how much 1u will drop your
sugar, and fine tuning the insulin-to-carb ratio. If you are starting without
someone to walk with you (contact several times a day fro the first several
days..) then be sure to write back. Jeannie Hickey