Re: [IP] rude comments and an ER visit

You captured the attitude perfectly in a few words "Is all this really
necessary?".  My daughter and I have run into this attitude twice in recent
months.  Once, when her teacher called her in and advised her to "talk about
your diabetes less with your classmates, you will be more readily accepted as
a new student".  What my smart, outspoken (like her mom) daughter explained
to him was, that he was confusing behavior with "talking".  She explained to
him that she really must test 4-6 times a day, and occasionally snack in the
classroom, or even give herself a shot during school hours.  So if it seemed
to him that every time he looked over at her, she was doing some task
connected to her diabetes, well, I guess it was true.  Tight control does
require a lot of fiddling.  Better than early complications in adult life.
The second time this attitude surfaced was a few weeks ago at a neighbors
house overnight.  My neighbor said to me later "Your daughter is so intense.
She spends so much energy on her diabetes, and she doesn't have to do that.
She has 2 parents who can do that for her."  Oh really?  The thought of
routinely giving my 13 (almost 14) year old daughter her finger pricks,
shots, insertions, boluses or whatever, makes my stomach turn; and also my
daughter's.  My husband and I do all of these activities occasionally as
needed, and lots of other stuff to lessen her load, but the fact of the
matter is, to lead empowered lives, our diabetic children must be taught, in
age appropriate ways, to take on the burden little by little.  Otherwise,
they run the risk of viewing themselves in a damaged way, and not having the
"can do" attitude it takes to be reasonably happy and diabetic at the same
time.  Welcome to the world of diabetes; work, work and more work!