Re: [IP] Not all pump starts are smooth (a

> I also had problems finding a comfortable place to
> wear the pump. These challenges seemed like a real
> pain at the time, but now with A1c's in the low to
> middle 6s it was definitely worth the effort. No
> regrets here.
I'm going to risk sounding like a complete loon here,
but I'm more than a little excited about the potential
of switching to pumping.  So I'm absorbing as much
research material as I can find and what I can find I'm
improvising myself.

Case in point.  I built a mock-up of a generic pump.
Consisting of a used tin of altoids (properly weighted),
a length of trimming wire (the sort used in weed eaters,
 I based my target tensile strength on what I recall of
IV tubing from the hospital the last time I was there --
if ip tubing has a different rigidity from iv tubing
please correct me -- I think I've come reasonably close
though.), and a roll of surgical tape easily obtainable
from any walgreens pharmacy.

Now of course this lacks two important points of
realism.  A)  Something actually POKING THROUGH the
skin, but that's not gonna happen with weedeater wire
honey, B) simulation of mechanical responses (i.e.
alarams and whatnot, not to mention the mechanics of
programming boluses/etc)

But I figure those points aren't critical to the puposes
of my experiment which is simply to determine how
easy/difficult it is to adjust to being attached to a
pump.  The control factors of this experiment are
simple.  Pretend it's real. (i.e. No fair taking it off
(not even for bed -- especially not -- we're also going
to ignore the existence of quick release infusion sets
for the duration of this test),  no getting it wet
(providing for least common denominator there), and no
feeding it after midnight (no wait, that's what you do
with a gremlin)

Week 1 is going to be experimenting with a 3.5' length
of "tubing" (so far so good, even went to the bathroom
without much clumsiness).  Week 2 will see a switch to a
2' length.  Following weeks will be optional based on
gathered data and determined need for further study.

-Sara G. (yes, did I forget to mention? My nickname in
high school was "Beaker" -- the scientist's assistant
from The Muppet Show)