[IP] Eve's Basals

  Deborah Wrote:   [Bonnie Richardsn]
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 14:47:28 -0500
From: "Deborah" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] frustrated mom

When we change Eve's basals or her boluses we have noticed that the next
her bg will be lower, no matter what we change. Then, the day after that
they will start creeping up slowly again, until about 4, 5, or 6 days later
her bg will again be very high. We have tried lowering and raising basals,
and lowering and raising boluses. We have tried different combinations of
basal and bolus changes also. We have tried these changes over the last 5
6 months, we have changed things slowly to give them a chance to work.
Nothing we have tried has had any long term (I mean more than 3 days)
effect. Eve will be on the CGM starting on Tue., but I'm afraid that any
changes that will be made, again will be short lived.
Does this happen to anyone else?
What are we doing wrong?
Deborah, very frustrated mom to Eve 12.5
Dxed 5/3/96 pumping 5/21/99

[What is CGM?]

Deborah, the only way I could get a picture of what my bgs were doing, and
how to set my basals was to do a chart.  You could make a simple one and
both you and Eve could mark the spot where BG was when tested.  Mine was
simple with BGs running vertically and 1am to 12 am running Horizontally.
 I just made a dot each time I tested for one month and studied it.  Set
basals according to peaks and valleys and, by george, it worked.  I was
having a problem with early morning rises, both in early am hours and after
I got up.   I am a visual person and this seemed to help me.   Also, I
found that when you set basals, you have to do one reset at a time.  I have
six basals set on my MM: 12:00 am - .9 u; 3:00 AM - 1.0 u;  4:00 AM - 1.3
u;  6:00 AM - 1.5 u; 9:30 AM 1.0 u.   It works for me.  Our diabetic bodies
are all so weird, huh?!?
Bonnie Richardson