Re: [IP] auto immune diseases

email @ redacted wrote:
> While chatting with other moms of kids with diabetes in the
> parents' chat room at childrenwithdiabetes.com, someone mentioned having
> hypothyroidism.....and after a succession of "me toos", we realized there
> were SEVEN of us chatting, who all had both hypothyroidism AND a child
> with diabetes.

I have diabetes AND auto-immune hypothyroidism, and a child with
neither! (Praying it stays that way -- he's 26 now)

But yes, there are several auto-immune diseases that go together -- Type
1 diabetes, either hypo or hyperthyroidism, Addison's disease (adrenal
failure), hypogonadism (failure of puberty), vitiligo (destruction of
skin pigment cells) and probably some others I don't know about.

I know that I have whatever genetic make-up that makes one susceptible
to auto-immune attack because of the hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's
Thyroiditis), but it's by no means a given as to whether or what
auto-immune disease such a person might develop.

It's obvious that some people carry the genes and never develop an
auto-immune disease -- because there are many unaffected parents and
children of diabetics and others with auto-immune diseases. So I decided
not to worry about it!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted