Re: [IP] Bad to worse - Bolus change revisited

email @ redacted wrote:
> I don't know if anyone recalls this, but my dr/CDE suggested I change my bolus
> from 15:1 to 10:1 based on 2 hr PP readings.  Well I did it and I am now either
> 46 or 300.
> Any suggestions???

YES, ignore the 2-hour reading and aim for a normal 4-hour reading.

Some of us metabolize humalog more slowly than others -- and if the 2
hour reading is in a good range, we'll crash at 4 hours.

The 300 reading is not a catastrophe IF the  BGs come down promptly -- a
short (less than an hour) spike should not affect your A1c, and is
unlikely to contribute to complications. It's the long-term, day after
day highs that really do the damage! (Which is why Type 2's who ignore
their DM, and run consistently in the 200's and 300's develop
complications so quickly).

Another thought is to lower your carb consumption and eat more
mono-unsaturated fat -- most of us have notice that fat tends to
decrease the height but prolong the length of PP readings.

Just for comparison's sake (remembering I'm Type Weird, not Type 1), I
plan on being around 200 two hours after a meal, because that means I'll
be at about 100 four hours after a meal. If I eat and am 150 or so two
hours after a meal, it practically guarantees I'll crash into the 50's
or 60's at 4 hours. Not worth it.

On the other hand, if I eat a high-protein/fat meal, and I'm at 150 two
hours after the meal, I'll want to bolus another 2 units, because my BGs
will start to rise at the 4 hour mark.

As usual, YMMV!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted