[IP] Making it in the World!!!

Hi Doreen-

Although I do not have any experience raising a child with D, I have had
diabetes since I was 16, am now 23 and graduating from college. I have
experience with both far away from home and close colleges (spent first year
five hours away and then transferred to college only an hour away for last
four).  College was a real eye opener for me because I was really on my own
for the first time in my life.  My parents were there for moral support, but
care of my diabetes was up to me.  It really helped me to become
self-reliant.  It was not always easy, but I managed just fine and had a
blast!!!  If your son is not ready for college let him know that you support
him no matter what he does. It is so much better to be ready for college and
take it seriously than to not be sure had waste a lot of money.   As for
insurance there are several companies out there that supply short term (or
long term if needed) health insurance to young adults.   One of my favorite
saying is "If there is a will, There is a way!!".  This definitely applies
here.  Tell you son to make his choice based on what he wants to do.  Going
to college just for health coverage will only end up costing you way more in
the long run if he really is not dedicated to it.

"But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is that
-From the immortal Tigger Song