Re: [IP] younng adullts/parent of young adults

> I need some input or advice from those of
> you who have experienced having a
> child with diabetes make that big transition
> to "young adult."
Having recently (well a few years ago anyway) made
that "leap" into 'responsible' adulthood, I'll pipe up
here.  I left my parents at age 20 and got a job that
didn't offer insurance.  I didn't think that'd be an
immediate problem as my parents said I'd be covered
till 23. THEY WERE WRONG!  I drop by the pharmacy to
pickup medical refills about 3 weeks after my 21st b-
day and the lady says "that'll be $350 please"...

You coulda picked me up off the floor with a spatula.

So, I had savings, I got enough supplies to last a
couple months and I changed jobs to one that would
provide medical coverage.  I almost destroyed my
relationship to my now spouse in the process but that
is SO MUCH a story for another time.

I know this probably won't be any help to you, I was in
a position where I *could* afford to change jobs and in
a field where fortunately skilled labor was (and still
is) at a premium (yup you guessed it, I'm a techie).
In fact I managed to nearly double my salaray in the
process so it was a blessing in disguise. :)

I guess what I'm saying is that you just do what you
gotta do 'cause the alternative is no alternative.

-Sara G.