Re: [IP] carb counting

Laura Arns wrote:

> >To think of the many people out there who are just going along with old >treatment plans that are being fed to them by caregivers who don't bother to >get up on the latest stuff.
>
> I'm sure some of you have heard me complain about the health care in our
> hometown before, but here is another horror story... We have an
> acquiantance still in that town. He is in his mid to late 50s and has
> been diabetic since childhood. He was just taught exchanges in the last
> year or two! Before that there was basically no notion of adjusting his
> insulin intake to his carb intake. There may have been some adjustment
> for items high in "sugar" like cake, ice cream, etc. but those were
> basically forbidden anyway. Before anyone starts in on "well he is just
> stupid for believing that", please know that this man and his wife are
> both very intelligent, highly educated people. But both were raised to
> trust and believe in doctors, and this is how things have always been
> since they were young. If the doctor says it is normal to occasionally
> find a diabetic unconcious, then you believe it. If you get a 2nd
> opinion, the 2nd doctor is going to tell you the same thing. There are
> no endocrinologists in this town, and it was not until this year that
> his PCP suggested he might want to see one in another town. About that
> time was also the first time they learned there are other insulins
> besides R and NPH. I'm sure there are many more people out there in
> similar situations, and not just diabetics. Its sad that until you get
> "outside" the system, like we did, and can see just how bad it is, you
> have no idea...
> Laura

  I trusted my doctor to help me.  I passed ketones just about every morning for
at least two years.  I would call her and she would tellme to take extra insulin
I did.  she never figured out why I was passing ketones.  I had high bg and ketone I knew they were making me feel awful.  I beleive that is what caused me to get gastroparesis.   she
finally did something after throwing up for four months and losing 20lb.  She change my insulin from nph to ultra lenta and humalog at each meal.  Then I went on the insulin pump in
Jan. of 1999.  I'm on a study drug for my gastroparesis. I have now gained almost all my weight back.
I still have troble keeping my bg level but it is much better than it use to be. I have had diabetes for 23years. I have beenon the ip list since Dec. of 1998
it has help me a lot. Tammy